One of our members uses these questions to screen his Tenants on Craigslist, so I also asked the Junkyard Dog of Eviction Attorneys to review it. He gladly did with these comments in bold:
“I would suggest deleting 16, 17, 23 & 24.”
“I just posted the apartment and have already been receiving a very high volume of inquiries, so prior to showing the apartment to anybody I first need to verify whether or not prospective tenants are qualified and a serious applicant. This saves both myself and yourself from wasting any time with showings. In order to do this initial pre-screening, I just have a few very basic standard questions that you must complete first in order to proceed.
Please type your answers in red if possible:
1. What is your name and telephone # that you can be reached at?
2. What is your reason for moving?
3. Do you have enough money available now to cover 1st/Last/Security?
4. Do all people that will be living at the apartment have good credit? We check credit. No
5. Do you (or anyone that would be moving into the unit) smoke?
6. Do you (or anyone that would be moving into the unit) have pets?
7. Do all people that will be living at the apartment have a government issued photo ID? No
7. At the time of signing our lease we’ll need a photo ID of all occupants.
8. If approved, how many people will be living with you? And what is the relationship to you?
9. How long do you intend to live here? What is your intended rental term? (I currently require a 12 month lease beginning 9/1/2016 through 8/31/2017, with a 1 year extension option which both the landlord and tenant must both agree to)
10. How much is your current monthly rent?
11. What is your monthly and annual income?
12. Do you have a full time job?
13. How long have you worked there?
14. What type of work do you do?
15. How many places have you lived in the past 2 years?
16. Do you have a checking account? (just answer yes or no) DELETE
17. Do you have a savings account? (just answer yes or no) DELETE
18. Approximately how much cash do you have in savings? (Just a very rough estimate to determine whether you have sufficient money in reserves to cover the rent in case of unanticipated events such as job loss, large expenses, etc.
19. Do you have any cars? If so, what kind (year/make/model)?
20. How many evictions have been filed on you or have you ever been evicted?
21. Have you ever broken a lease?
22. Do you have, or could you provide us with any landlord references?
23. Are you (or anybody who will be living with you) a convicted felon? DELETE
24. Will anything come up when I run a criminal background check for the people that are moving in with you that I should know in advance (DUI’s, etc)? DELETE
25. Are you or anybody that will be moving in with you a sex offender? No
26. Do you have any additional questions?
Bottom line – Be careful and think this through before deciding! Mike